Monday, October 6, 2014

20 Things I learned at CERN

This time, I am sharing a list of things I realized at CERN. The long philosophical conversations with my great friends from all around the world were really enriching experience. Some of the ideas are funny, philosophical, hopefully interesting :)
  1. I actually don't need so much meat to survive. I started eating oatmeal for breakfast and mostly salads and fruits during the rest of the day. Anyway I still think a good steak is an amazing thing :)
  2. I enjoy eating outside. Everything tastes better. 
  3. I like eating with my friends. 
  4. I prefer drinking local stuff. I like beer in Prague, white wine at home, vodka in Ukraine, sweet white wine in Hungary, and red wine at CERN. 
  5. I can't speak Russian. Unfortunately. (Sofia)
  6. I can still read Russian. (Sofia )
  7. I can still pretty much speak Spanish! (Ricky)
  8. I can speak some basic French! (a number of shopping assistants :)) 
  9. I actually am a good dancer :) Thanks to the Czech traditional dancing classes at high school etc. I never really considered myself to be one. (swing dancing lessons)
  10. I can actually sing pretty well. I realized that when I heard myself singing on a recording and I sounded to myself as my sister Pavlina. The thing is she can sing really well so when I think I sing just remotely like her, it's good :) (Summer Student choir)
  11. I do love writing. I enjoy it, it helps me organize my thoughts, and makes it easier to share them with other people. (David, Bartek)
  12. When I go home to visit my parents, it feels like visiting them more than like going "home". Maybe not so surprising considering how often I show up, but I never realized that.Maybe I'm getting old... (David)
  13. I deserve to do the things I want to do. Seriously. When I do what I think I should do, I just get pissed off and then I'm tense and unhappy. (Sofia, Petr)
  14. I don't need anybody else to be happy. It's actually way easier when I just take care of myself :) (Petr)
  15. I can't drink as much beer as my Czech male friends. (Petr)
  16. I really want to stop studying and start working. 
  17. I can do some coding when I have to. And I'm actually not that bad, just slow. 
  18. Even though CERN is an amazing place I realized I don't want to work in research and I prefer being more in touch with the "real" business world. 
  19. Six hours of sleep IS enough when you believe so. 
  20. Tomatoes and peppers are fruits. (Rob)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, too much information :) Thank you for the comments and the invitation to Poland :) Regarding number 11, I think it's not a specific conversation, but your support and reading your blog what made me think more...
    I have a few more things to write about regarding CERN. I hope to keep writing something afterwards and I just need to decide what I want it to look like. I realized my life in Prague is also pretty interesting and would be nice to capture some of my memories in writing. Let's see. I think it will be in English because you, my international friends, would be too annoying if I started writing in Czech :) I hope so.
    In general, I prefer more facts and making your on opinion. I want to write about statistics in everyday life :) So it will be probably pretty weird anyway... But I think I won't have enough time for all the stuff I want to do though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolz, I thought you didn't read anything on my blog. ;p I know, I have seen the post about your ideas you still have. I'm not telling you to stop writing about CERN, I'm actually telling you not to stop writing. ;p Weird or not, should be interesting, and that's important. But yes, time is a big issue, I know that better than most. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was supposed to be a reply, not a new comment, but I think I messed up.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I read something :) It was pretty long but I enjoyed it. Ok, I think I will keep writing :) Btw the commenting here is really confusing, I agree.

      Delete
    3. Cool! And even cooler! Try wordpress - has easier comment system. ^^ I have been on blogspot for a few years and I like wordpress better in general.

      Delete