Friday, November 28, 2014

What Do I Work On?

I thought I would write something meaningful and cool about COMPASS, what it is, etc. But I am super tired after trying to understand code written by a very creative French physicist 12 years ago. Some parts of it are really very... surprising and unorthodox. Or whatever you call it.

So what do I do here now? I am rewriting COMPASS logbook to something that would look more like from the 21st century. The logbook is on-line monitoring tool and kind of a journal for anything that happens at the experiment. There is information about every shift, the detectors settings, notes,... So some php and MySQL stuff.

The funny thing is after I finish with it, there will be people using it 24/7 for a decade or something. I think I will make it pink and include some Hello Kitty pictures to improve the user experience :) Oh, I almost forgot, the old logbook is in Comic Sans. I think I will need to keep it at least as an optional setting :)

This is the COMPASS control room and the logbook.
(The screens are usually not that red.)

My name is on our door now. Yayyyy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment