Sunday, August 10, 2014

An Addictive Game from CERN: Particle Clicker

All sorts of things happen at CERN. Last week, there was CERN Webfest, where the guys created a lot of crazy great stuff over the weekend. Check the website for more information. The people here are just so cool. And my sister Pavlina and her friend Hana arrived to CERN today. These two things combined resulted in this post :) The winning project of the webfest is a great game called Particle Clicker. Pavlina studies psychology (not physics), played the Particle Clicker and found it amazing. The rest of the post is written by her. (I love her for this.)



A short story by Pavlina:

How I Met Particle Clicker

I found this cute game thanks to my sister’s post on facebook. At first I thought it generates a name for my hypothetic lab from chaotic clicking on a special colorful circle and my lab was called “PC violation”. And I was proud because it felt like the Internet knows what kind of person I am – a violator of all the technical stuff. But the truth about the website is a little bit different.

The big disappointment came when I found out that I am the one who gives the name to my lab. Also the PC violation was actually CP violation and it turned out to be some technical thing which is probably good to control or research. Other important facts gradually came to my mind and I realized that the website is actually a quite fun game in which you can try to be a scientist at CERN. At CERN, you can do research and discover new particles and parts of these particles and divide the undividable atom. Divide et impera.

The cool thing is that you can pay other people to do your job! Getting new data enables you to research and discover new things and particles. New research gives you greater reputation in the world (not only the academic one) and reputation guaranties you more generous funding. Then you can hire new workers for your research and upgrades. The more workers the more data you get. That’s cool, right?

By the way I already got five Nobel Prize winners to work for me :)

Sisters


No comments:

Post a Comment