Saturday, August 23, 2014

Summer Student Choir And Concert

I waited to write this post for a few weeks because I wanted to put the concert and choir together. And now I am super tired after the goodbye party last night and a little confused because my friends started leaving and it feels so weird. Ok, so I made a separate post about that.

One of the great fun things Summer Students do at CERN is starting random stuff. This includes dancing classes, playing games and instruments, giving lectures to each other on various topics, cooking events, traveling, partying, and singing. And I must have forgotten something for sure.

Eva started a choir. There were people leaving early and joining late but it was a great fun. I think it's always funny when you're bad at something but you enjoy it and work on it. And that's what happens when you learn a new song. You make weird sounds, struggle to remember the lyrics, make a lot of mistakes, try to remember how your voice is supposed to sound... I think we had a great time :)

Then Eva had the idea of organizing a concert and people joined and it ended up being a pretty decent performance. By the way, it took place in the main auditorium, where the Higgs boson discovery was announced two years ago! Other guys were playing violin, piano, a random Iranian instrument, jazz. The jazz guys even made a special Summer Student version of Summertime! It went along like: "Summertime, and the living is easy... You work at CERN... And your code doesn't compile... " Just amazing.

And our choir performance was also really good I think. Compared to what we sounded like in the beginning :) I promise I will add a link to a video of our performance later. There are some pictures from Adrian for now. Thank you everybody involved! It was really a pleasure.

Eva, Bartek, Beni, Marta, Laura, Johannes, Alex, Chiara and I

No comments:

Post a Comment