Wednesday, July 23, 2014

CERN: So What Do We Actually Do Here?

We had a great tour around CERN today. I finally got the big picture of what happens here. It is rather difficult to sum it up since everybody you talk to usually knows only the experiment they work on and don't know much about the other activities.

I'm full of everything and super tired so I actually skipped a Czech barbecue tonight which I'm not happy about... Anyway I'm sharing pictures from today and including some links for further reading and procrastinating for those of you who are interested. I really had a blast and learned so much today. So I hope you enjoy it as well :)

Well kids, this is where the antimatter is made. Seriously. It is called Antiproton Decelerator

This is me being excited in the data center :)

The tape storage is accessed by several robots.
It serves as back up for all experimental data at CERN. 
 
Ties looking at a high-resolution picture of the CMS detector. 

Sofia and I as cool scientists wearing helmets :)

So this is Compact Muon Solenoid
It is 22 metres long, 15 metres in diameter,
and weighs about 12,500 tonnes. 

Big Brother watching us and vice versa in CMS Control Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment