Wednesday, July 2, 2014

How I Got My CERN Card

After I arrived, I was a little nervous about my work because I didn't really know what I was supposed to do. I thought I would start working like crazy from the first minute on site, but it was not the case.
First of all, I needed to get my CERN ID. I was a little sick and my picture captures my mood at the moment, but it's fortunately rather small and dark :) Maybe I'm just ridiculously tanned again… I don’t know. The point is I have a CERN card now! :)

To make a long story short, I managed to find somebody who at least vaguely knew what I could work on before Luca (my advisor) arrives to CERN. His colleague Jan from Germany found a PC for me, uninstalled the evil Windows and got me some Linux :) I will talk about my office and this kind of stuff in more detail later.

I guess I was expected to get to know the local labyrinth of buildings better as soon as possible. On the first day, I went across the whole place about four times in total, but in the end I got the key from my office. I was thinking about all those poor American kids not getting enough walking because they need to drive everywhere. They would die here…

Now I’m ready for anything :)




1 comment:

  1. "poor American kids not getting enough walking because they need to drive everywhere" -> fast and furious accelerators :-)

    ReplyDelete