Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Saturday Trip to Annecy

Petr told me his crew for Saturday trip to Annecy, a medieval town in France. We went with two guys from Ecuador, Bryan ("I sprained my ankle but will go anyway.") and David ("I'm the best figure skater of Ecuador."), and Stathis ("I will freeze to death in this water.") the sane Greek. For some reason, we left at 8 am but we were possibly the first tourists in the town.


The old downtown is really beautiful. I loved these old tiny houses built just next to each other, tied together by the stream. It looked a little like Venice.


Then we walked up to the castle, where we met another group of CERN Summer Students. As there were a few experimental physicists, we ended up measuring the depth of the well by repeatedly throwing coins in it and measuring the time of the fall of the coins. I think the well was 15 meters deep if I remember it correctly :)


Then we took a tour through the castle since it was raining anyway. We learned a lot about lakes, fishing, birds... The best part was probably Pixar short movies about animals :) It was rather boring otherwise. But for example these mermaids' skeletons were really cool. Especially after Petr called them "sea virgins" as we do in Czech. Everybody liked that :)


Then we went to see Gorges du Fier, but the pictures from this part are not as good as it was raining and cloudy. We chilled by the lake, drank some wine and enjoyed Annecy in the evening. Overall, I had a great time!

PS: Some of you are probably curious about what I actually work on here. I wanted to wait a little before I elaborate on it and there have been many trips lately so I haven't written anything yet. You can look forward to some more scientific stuff later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment