Sunday, July 27, 2014

Chill Out in the Library and My French Skills

I finally did some work on my research project form home university. I'm proud of myself. Joao and Anti took me to the library where you can actually work outside. It was so peaceful and calm. I think I will go there more often to get some work done.

The highlight of today was when I understood how much I had to pay at the cashier in the restaurant. The funny thing is that even the numbers are different in Swiss French compared to French French :) So for example "soixante dix" means seventy in France but it's called "septante" here. Makes sense, right? I just found out there actually is an article about it on Wikipedia (in French) with a brief history background of the story.

Anyway, my French is not really getting anywhere except the fact that I started to understand French commercials on Spotify :) And this is just because I heard them already one hundred times or so. I'm afraid my French skills will stay dormant for a few more years...

I also started moving my old blog about my time at Union College to blogspot. It will take some time since I need to write a script to get the posts from the awful messy and nonfunctional xml format to something more user friendly. It will need some editing in hand anyway...

It feels like traveling back to the past when I look at the posts, it brings back so many memories... I hope it will help somebody to decide whether or not to go to Union or abroad. And to be clear about this, I had a blast at Union so just go for it if you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment