Friday, July 4, 2014

Summer Student Lectures - Obscure Particle Physics

Today was probably the last day I went to the Summer Student Lectures. That's the other Summer Student Program. I will describe the differences in a separate post later. The guys have lectures every morning in July and August. Most of the lectures are about particle physics or some other rather obscure and mysterious topics. Even though the lecturers are great, it doesn't help much with my basically nonexistent physics background...

Fortunately, there were lectures on Statistics in High Energy Physics, so I was able to follow and understand most of the time since I know at least the statistics part.


Btw, it's been exactly two years since the discovery of Higgs boson was announced in exactly the same auditorium where the lectures take place. I think it's pretty cool :) And we actually had a slide on this during the first lecture today. The Independence Day has become The Higgs Boson Day at CERN :) If I were American I'd be like "This is soooo cuteeeee".


No comments:

Post a Comment